Friday, July 5, 2013

Why We Switched to Cloth Wipes

Originally, I was going to write about our switch to cloth wipes in my cloth diapering one year later post. However, that post got to be rather long so I decided to do a whole separate post about wipes.

Back when I was still pregnant and researching cloth diapers the idea of using cloth wipes didn't really cross my mind. I was too busy researching what type of cloth diapers to use, what brand, how to wash them, etc... I came across them right around the time we actually started using cloth with Harrison. I made a mental note to look into them further. Pretty soon my husband and I were lamenting about how we hated disposable wipes. They seemed so thin, poop always seemed to be threatening to seep through to our hands. We had to use so many. We hated actually buying them (even though they are cheaper than diapers). Apparently we are not alone in our loathing because we also had a discussion in my mommy group about how much we hated them. So finally around Christmas I had had about enough of using them and decided to switch to cloth. Needless to say, we love them! Oh let me count the ways; 

1. They work way better than disposable ones, the poop just comes off easier. 
2. I use 1-2 per change (occasionally more for major poopage) whereas I was easily using four or more before  
3. They are gentler on Harrison's skin 
4. They do double duty as face/hand wipes- some people keep a separate stack on their kitchen table for this very reason.
5. You can use them wet or dry so you can pat baby's butt dry to avoid irritation.


If you're using cloth diapers you might as well use wipes. It's just easier. It was annoying to be changing Harrison's diaper and putting the diaper in the wet bag and then having to find a trashcan for the wipes. This was especially annoying when changing him while out and about. I'd lay him down on the changing table in the public bathroom, get him all changed, and then have to carry a handful of dirty wipes out of the stall and into the trash. If I'd managed not to get poop on my hands changing him, I certainly did now. I bought a stack from a wonderful Etsy shop KathyHowesCreations. You can pick from a ton of different prints and Kathy was really wonderful to work with. When buying cloth wipes I recommend keeping it simple. Get the cheapest, but still best quality, ones you can find. Mine are basically a rectangular shaped piece of fabric that has been surged on the edges to prevent fraying. You can find organic cotton ones, "designer print" ones, "plush" ones, two or three layered ones, etc... I've seen some that are are $12 for 6 wipes. What?! To me, they aren't worth it. You're supposed to be saving money right? Mine were about 50 cents a piece and they are holding up well. If you have the time and inclination you can make your own wipes pretty simply. Or, you can use cloth wash cloths.


The MINI - a small sampler of all natural Soap Bit Wipe Solution Cubes - Choose your own scents
This is exactly how mine looks just
with different scents/colors. I highly
recommend the honeyed almond
and vanilla bean scents. 
When using cloth wipes you'll want to use some sort of wipe solution. I purchased soap bits from another Etsy shop, Wee Essentials, and love them. The store's owner, Candy, was great to work with and answered all my questions. The bits are basically little cubes of handmade soap that you dissolve in hot water and then store in a container on your changing table. I also pour some in a mini spray bottle to keep in my diaper bag. You'll probably need to make a new batch every couple days. I normally make a new batch every time I do diaper laundry. Wipes can also be stored wet in an old disposable wipes container (here's a video about how to make them pop up like disposable wipes) or other tupperware type container. If you want to store them wet in your diaper bag you can simply put them in a zip-loc bag or buy a waterproof wipe pouch

You can buy a mini sampler of the bits (like I did) and select 5 yummy scents from more than 2 dozen she has available. They arrive in a container with each scent labeled and instructions for making the solution. You get around 100 bits, enough for about 8 months! Which, for $17, is a great bargain. If you love them (you will!) you can buy a bigger sample set that'll last over a year. Or you can get jars of just one scent. These are made to be gentle on your baby's skin and you can get them in either dyed or undyed scents. The only issue Harrison had was with the lavender chamomile scent. It gave him a rash so we stopped using that kind and it cleared right up. I plan on dissolving a couple in water and using them in an old foaming soap dispenser, so not all is lost. At his next check-up I asked the doc about a possible allergic reaction and she said that she has occasionally seen reactions from both lavender and chamomile. So, you may want to shy away from that scent if you think your baby has sensitive skin. If you would prefer to make your own solution, recipes can be found here and here. Another tip, I wouldn't use just water- it can be drying to the skin. 

To care for the wipes you just wash them right along with your diapers. I throw mine in the same wet bag and dump them all in the wash together. It's super simple and we are so much happier with these than the disposables. 

9 comments:

  1. Superb. I really enjoyed very much with this article here. I share some related topic visit How to redeem eBay gift card codes

    ReplyDelete

  2. Awesome article! It is in detail and well formatted that i enjoyed reading. which inturn helped me to get new information from your blog. I am sharing related topic which is mostly important for How to get free Robux

    ReplyDelete
  3. keep up the wonderful piece of work, I read feew posts on this site and I think that your site is very interesting and holds circles
    of great info.and my friends are you find a
    Free Robux?, if yes then you are on right place, so many people dont know
    How to get free Robux.
    Get Free Robux is a very easy thing nowdays.because of
    FREE ROBUX ROBLOX
    Earn Free Robux - Redeem Instantly
    Free Robux - Earn and
    Earn Free Robux these things helps you to get unlimited rolux.so many people find
    free robux websites and from that you
    earn robux today. in that you also earn
    free robux codes and
    Free​ Roblox ​Robux

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is extremely helpful info!! for gamers Very good work. Everything is very interesting to learn and easy to understand. Take the given information. Visit my article about minecraft
    Minecraft

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you because you have been willing to share information with us. we will always appreciate all you have done here. I also have something for you. you can Check here

    ReplyDelete
  6. Found your blog pretty amazing. I really liked the idea of this post. Keep up the good work. I also have something for you to Compress and archive files and data. You can check Winrar.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well written blog with a positive approach. Nice work. Also I want to suggest you BSL Shaders 1.14.4 a perfect shaders pack for minecract. You should definitely give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for shearing this information with us, This post is really useful for health.

    ReplyDelete