Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Cloth Diapering, One Year Later

So it's no secret that I love using cloth diapers with Harrison. We've been using them for a little over a year now, so I thought I'd write about how our diapers have held up, what things we've added and learned over the year, and basically just what our experience has been.

We still use Bum Genius and Sunbaby diapers. Both have held up well over the year, but I will say that the Bum Genius ones we have seem to be holding up better. Two of the snaps on one of our Sunbaby diapers is coming off and we'll have to replace it with a Bum Genius soon. It isn't causing leaks just yet, but every time I undo the diaper I am afraid it is going to pop off. I've never machine dried the diaper (which can harm them), so it isn't from that. Just wear and tear I guess. But, it should be noted, that the Bum Genius are showing virtually no signs of wear and tear other then slight staining  on the inside from poop. But, they are diapers after all. The Sunbaby ones are showing the same thing, too. 
When we are pregnant again and it is time to buy more diapers I will not buy any more Sunbabies. I do like them, and still think they are a great value for the price. But, we plan on having more than two children, and I'm hoping to use a lot of the diapers again and again. I just don't think the Sunbaby ones will hold up to more than one baby. 


A diagram of a Flip diaper. 
Since my last posts (which can be found here and here) we have been on vacation to the beach. We used cloth for the entire week and had no issues. The condo we stayed in had a washer and dryer, so it was super easy to keep up with the diapers and little was different from being at home. We brought a drying rack with us, but they had one of those, too, so we didn't need to use ours. If you are staying somewhere that doesn't have a washer/dryer and you don't feel like using the laundromat while on vacay you can use Flip diapers.  Basically you start with an outer waterproof shell and add one of their inserts on top before fastening it on your baby. They make disposable inserts as well as cloth. So if you find yourself without a washer/dryer, simply buy a pack of disposable inserts, throw them away after each changing and reuse the shell just as you would if using a cloth insert. Then, when you're home from vacation, go back to using the cloth inserts.

Cloth diapers can be used as swim diapers, too. We didn't buy any disposable "swimmers" for Harrison. We simply removed the inserts from the diaper and just used the shell/cover as the diaper. Easy peasy. This has worked great and we are using the same method this summer as well. Although, this summer I have noticed that we are going through our stash a little faster than I would like since we are at the pool a good amount of the time. To remedy this I stopped at my favorite local shop Hello Bluebird and bought 3 BrookiEllen diapers covers/swim diapers. I haven't used them yet, but I'm excited to. :) Having a few swim diapers on hand will allow me to still wash my diapers ever 2-3 days. Although I always recommend buying from local small businesses, I have even seen reusable swim diapers at Target. They aren't one size like the BrookiEllen and Bum Genius ones, though. So you have to buy a bigger size as your child grows out of them.

I have even put Harrison in just a diaper cover and swim shirt with no swimming trunks on top. It kind of looks like he is wearing a speedo, which I happen to find adorable. I think this is a wonderful idea for girls as well. A little girl in Harrison's swim lesson class wore a bikini bottom and swim shirt a few times and I thought that a diaper cover could easily replace the bikini bottom and be super cute! BrookiEllen makes incredibly adorable ruffle butt diaper covers that would be absolutely darling as a bathing suit bottom and swim diaper all in one. 
I mean come on! Just pair this
 with a pink or white
swim shirt and your daughter
is sure to be the best dressed at your
local pool or beach!

We are still using and loving our Planet Wise wet bags. I have noticed a little wear on the water proof lining of our large hanging wet bag, but it hasn't effected the performance of the bag. It's still as waterproof as it was in the beginning. When the next baby comes along I will probably just purchase another large wet bag and use the old one for wet cloths at the pool/beach. Our medium wet bag that we keep in our diaper bag is holding up very well and I have noticed no wear at all (probably because it is washed less). The cotton fabric and zippers on both bags are holding up really well and have no wear and very little color fade. I love Planet Wise and fully endorse them as a company! Their goods are made in America, which I love. Here is a quote from their website that perfectly illustrates why I love them and why you should too,  "All products are manufactured in a locally women-owned facility helping to support the local economy and reduce our environmental impact.  All business decisions, either big or small, are evaluated with our planet’s health and social harmony in mind." Gah, I'm in love! In addition to wet bags they make backpacks, lunch bags, reusable sandwich and snack baggies, swim diapers and shirts, diaper covers and many more great products. 


The next time I buy diapers I plan on buying more that are made in the good ol' U.S.A. I have only done limited research so far, but Blueberry and Thirsties diapers are made in America. And, of course, you can search Etsy for other great brands like BrookiEllen. I am passionate about buying products that are made in America or are at the very least fair trade. This extends beyond diapers into food, clothing, and cleaning products as well. Looking back, I just didn't do enough research before buying my diapers. When you know better you do better, right? As I do more research I'll do yet another diaper post illustrating all I've learned and what I recommend. :) 

Peace & Love


No comments:

Post a Comment