Sunday, November 25, 2012

Re-think Where You Spend Your Money- Part One

Now that the Christmas holiday season is officially upon us I think it is important for everyone to take a moment amd really think about where they want to spend their money. Personally, I avoid shopping at big box stores as much as possible. Frankly, I have been boycotting Wal-Mart for years now. I don't agree with their business practices (among other things) and have decided to exercise my right not to shop there. There are other places out there, people! Trust me! In the interest of full disclosure, I am a tad too addicted to Target. I know, I know they are a big box store. But, I do keep my purchases to a minimum, and if I could find quality, affordable baby clothes at a small business I would be shopping at Target a lot less. 

This year, I have made it a priority to do the vast majority of my Christmas shopping at local and small businesses. Why do I think this is so important? Here are a few reasons;

  • According to this article; "80% of jobs created in this country are created by small businesses".  
  • More money spent in small businesses actually contributes to the local economy. An article I read stated that when you spend "$1 locally, that money actually represents $5 to the local economy". When you shop at a big box store a lot of that money is supporting economies in other countries like China, India, and Mexico. It's a ripple effect (or is a affect- I could never keep those straight)- you spend money at a local business, the local employee gets paid, and spends their money locally, etc...
  • Shopping local is more fun! Ok, this is an opinion, but I think it's true. :) You usually get better, more personal service and if you patronize a business enough you'll become a regular. Who doesn't like being greeted by the store owner when they enter a store?
Since I only live a few minutes from West Reading, most of my shopping will be done there. I love walking around Penn Avenue and wandering in and out of the shops. Everyone is incredibly welcoming- it's great! Anyone living within a 20 mile radius should  totally check out what West Reading has to offer. If you aren't familiar with the area, a lot more can be learned here. I'm going to give a shout out to some of my favorite local places. I love the following spots because the people that work there are great and their products are awesome. So, if you're from the Reading area be sure to check out;
  • Hello Bluebird: If you're into the whole Etsy scene you must check this place out! If you're all like "Wtf is Etsy?" you should still check this place out! They offer an amazing selection of jewelry, artwork, clothing, candles, handbags, cards, and various other home goods and baby/kid items. Everything is made by small business owners. If there is a woman or child on your gift list this year you need to head there pronto! 
  • Haute Chocolate: If you are a chocolate lover or love a chocolate lover then you must. Go. There. They offer a wide array of freshly baked goodies (Mmm! The salty caramel cupcake is to die for!), locally made, delicious truffles, fair-trade sourced chocolate bars, and incredible coffee drinks and milkshakes. 
  • Curious Consignment Company: A lovely mix of old and new things can be found here- everything from vintage cameras and estate jewelry to paintings, vases and furniture. Every time I visit there is something new to look at. Don't forget to check out the lower level as well as the building out back. They also have a lovely garden that always reminds me of the book The Secret Garden. It truly is a unique spot.
  • The Wise Owl Bookstore: This is a relatively new store on the avenue. They sell mostly used books, but there is a good selection. Plus, they have a special kids room. It is a cozy place to spend some time.
Let's not forget about restaurants! Some local faves are;
  • Good eatz- featuring fresh, organic food. They have a lot of vegan, vegetarian, and gluten-free options, too! 
  • Aladdin Mediterranean Restaurant- Incredibly yummy gyros, kebabs, falafel, etc... This place is a must-go!
  • West Reading Tavern- Charming place with great burgers!
  • The Peanut Bar- Great atmosphere, people, and food! What more could you ask for?
  • Say Cheese!- West Reading's newest restaurant. I have not been yet, but am dying to go! Large selection of fresh cheeses as well as a full, delicious-looking menu. 
  • Go Fish!- Delicious fresh seafood and sushi.
  • Cafe Harmony- Amazing place for breakfast or lunch!

Maybe you're reading this and thinking, "that's great, Ashley, but I don't live in or around Reading. How can I find small businesses that are close to me?". Well, I'm glad you asked! My suggestion would be to Google (or Bing if that's your thing) it! I just Googled "small businesses in Kansas" and found a great directory of small businesses. If they're in Kansas, they're in your state, too. :) Also, for restaurants check out dineindie.com. My husband and I frequent that site when we are looking for new places to eat. 

Please remember, a lot of local/small businesses are struggling. A lot of us (including me) get sucked into these big box stores because of the huge selection and the ability to shop for everything all in one place. What I have come to realize that is, if I can afford it, I'd rather spend a little more money at a local place and get the satisfaction of knowing that I am directly contributing to the local economy. Plus, you almost always get a superior product, better customer service, or both! I encourage you to give shopping local/small a try this year- and not just during the holiday season.
                             
                                   



No comments:

Post a Comment