Saturday, September 1, 2012

The Most Beautiful Thing I Have Ever Seen

Today my parents hosted an Ashcroft/Hoover picnic. The Ashcrofts are my paternal grandmother's family, and we haven't seen them in a long time. My grandmother has Alzheimers, needs 24/7 care, and is remembering less and less every day. Her only sibling, my great-uncle Al, has Parkinsons and is lucky enough to be cared for by is wife of sixty-two years, Et. One is losing their mind, the other their body. It is so incredibly sad to watch. This get together was looked at as a chance to get my grandmother out of her assisted living apartment and give her a chance to socialize with her brother (one of the only people she still truly remembers/recognizes) and his family.

My parents arranged for my grandmother and her aid to be transported to their house, and they went to great lengths to makes sure that she was comfortable. Everyone gathered around her and she lit up with excitement each time she saw a member of the family. She adores babies and especially loved seeing Harrison and her great-nephew, 11 month old Devin. A couple hours into the party she started to get more disoriented, stressed, and angry. It was time for her to go. My mom and I brought Harrison over to calm her down, and soon the transportation service was there to pick her up. Et came in the room to tell her that her brother wanted to say good bye. The aid wheeled her over to the doorway that leads out to the deck where Al was seated. Al got up and used his walker to make his way over to her. 


And then it happened, the most beautiful thing I have ever seen. Al leaned in the doorway and bent down to give his sister a kiss good-bye. After the kiss he looked at her and said "the most beautiful girl in the place". My heart just about melted at the sight of these 80-something siblings who have been through so much together. Their bond is amazing. 

It was refreshing to see something so full of grace and love. I was reminded that their generation truly is the greatest generation. Their generation values family, love, friendship, God, respect, and their country. It seems too many members of my generation value; appearance, money, fame, power. What a shame. I think we all can learn something from the greatest generation. 

1 comment:

  1. That was a beautiful post Ashley, and brought tears to my eyes. I think we are so fortunate to have such great family roll models. Thank you for sharing that moment. Love ya!

    ReplyDelete